This full day course is designed for clinicians who may have experience with some of the interventional skills and treatment options related to management of the upper motor neuron syndrome. The course will focus on appropriate assessment and treatment planning, hands-on skills to enhance interventions (including botulinum toxin, nerve blocks and intrathecal baclofen including ultrasound, EMG and electrical stimulation guidance), and information on developing a spasticity management program. This information will be presented by a group of expert clinicians who will share their technical skills and clinical experiences.
- Discuss the assessment, goal-setting and development an individualized treatment plan for a patient with spasticity.
- Describe the roles of different treatment options for patients with spasticity.
- Identify and utilize anatomical landmarks to aid in electrical stimulation for performing nerve blocks.
- Demonstrate the use of EMG and electrical stimulation to guide focal chemodenervation injections.
- Demonstrate the ability to identify and manage common difficulties associated with intrathecal baclofen pumps.
- Outline a plan to develop a spasticity program.